About

This summer I'll be setting up a new tank, a 29 gallon with live breeders and driftwood.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Transferring the molly

I'm transferring the molly I have over to a small, one gallon tank. The 3 gallon was disgustingly dirty, and I wanted to just start over with a nice clean little space for him until I start cycling the 20 gallon long sufficiently. (I decided to get a 20 gallon long instead of a 29 gallon.)
Here he is...
And here is a video of him swimming around in the tank. As you can see, there is no gravel at all, and I moved over the two marimo balls (which are floating because I just rinsed them out) and a branch of driftwood I gathered myself last summer in the keys.
...

The 3 gallon tank I am cleaning out, dumping the god-awful substrate, (I remember getting this amazingly expensive substrate which I ordered from a store located in California that had to ship it in from Japan. At first, it was the most amazing substrate I'd ever seen, but after a few months, it deteriorated, and would leave dust all over the aquarium. You're supposed to replace it every 6 months, but that it ridiculous, to be expected to tear up a planted tank entirely to replace it.) and setting up cacti.

My birthday was on Saturday, and my Dad took me to a plant growing place today so I could pick out my gifts. He got me about 6 cacti, so I could set up my own small terrarium like ones we had seen together in an art show. So once I finish cleaning out the glass tank, I'm setting these babies up in there, with my cacti potting soil and lava rocks.
Most of these were not labeled with a name... which is very frustrating since I do not know the exact lighting/  watering preferences, but most all cacti appreciate full sun and sparse watering, so that is what I'll stick to!
I got this chill purple & green one for the foreground... it's pretty cute.

 This little guy looks like a cubist painting. The leaves are fat and triangular shaped wedges. ( A snail snuck into my home on that leaf!)

This guy is going in the back left corner. He's spiky, and I love the light green splotches of light on him.

I know. I saved these puppies for last for a reason. I got three pink ones, and one yellow one. The color in this photo was not enhanced at all... they are just that bright! 
I can't wait to see how the terrarium plays out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment